Saturday, December 8, 2012

Merry Christmas!

I went Christmas shopping yesterday. Everything was going fine until I got to the register to check out. I was at the self-check out area, and it wouldn't take my debit card; I figured that Austin and I must have forgotten to transfer the money from our savings account. I decided to pay by check and verify the amount in the checking account when I got home. The attendant asked for my ID, explaining that they usually don't ask for it, but once in a blue moon, the computer gives them a prompt asking for an ID. I pulled out my driver's license and handed it to her just to realize that my maiden name is still on my driver's license (long story), but my married name is on my checks. So my ID didn't work. I did have $10.00 cash in my purse, so I decided to get the essentials with that and come back later for the rest. I started sorting my things into things I needed to get this trip and things I didn't need to get, not that I had a lot to sort. It couldn't have been meant to be for me to buy these things since nothing was working out.

Then the cashier started moving money around in her cash box and said, "Nevermind! Take all of it." Bewildered, I asked what had happened. She gestured to a rather plain but kind-looking blonde woman that had just completed her purchase at another register. "She paid for you," the cashier said.

I said, "Thank you!" trying to convey the gratitude I felt for her generous act, but I felt that it was an inadequate thanks. I didn't know what more I could say or do to communicate my appreciation for her generous act, and that I appreciated the act more than the money itself or the things that I was able to buy because of it.

The woman looked embarrassed but said, "Merry Christmas!" with a sweet smile, and walked away.

Have a Merry Christmas, everybody! (This is one of very few Christmas pictures that I have)

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! That's AMAZING! Makes me cry - what a beautiful Christmas miracle. I love hearing these kinds of stories. Thank you so much for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for getting me in the spirit of Christmas!
    (and I _love_ how your tree is decorated)

    ReplyDelete